The Fair Work Commission may be able to help with resolving disputes in the workplace, however we cannot give advice.
The Fair Work Ombudsman can provide you with information about resolving an issue or dispute in the workplace. Its Best Practice Guide window on effective dispute resolution is a good place to start.
Registered organisations such as unions and employer associations may also provide advice to their members.
Common factors in workplace disputes
A few of the most common issues in workplaces that can result in disputes are:
- not meeting your workplace rights and obligations
- not having, or ignoring, policies and procedures
- inconsistent treatment of employees by the employer or by other employees
- perception of preferential or exclusive treatment
- not following the dispute procedure in an agreement or award
- not having a dispute procedure
- cultural differences
- changing unwritten workplace practices without consultation and discussion.