International Industrial Dispute Resolution Conference speaker – The Hon. Julia Gillard
Julia was born in Wales. Her family emigrated to Adelaide, Australia in 1966. Julia moved to Melbourne for both her studies and student politics. She was president of the Australian Union of Students and successfully completed her LLB/BA with an Economics major. Commencing with Slater and Gordon in Melbourne in 1987 as an industrial lawyer, she was admitted as a partner in 1990.
- 1996 Chief of staff to John Brumby, Victorian Opposition Leader.
- 1998 elected Member for Lalor.
- 2001 Shadow Minister for Population and Immigration.
- 2003 (February) Shadow Minister for Reconciliation and Indigenous Affairs were added to her responsibilities.
- 2003 (July) Shadow Minister for Health.
- 2003 (December) Manager of Opposition Business, having served as Deputy Manager from June 2003.
In December 2006, Julia was elected as Deputy Labor Leader and is now the Shadow Minister for Industrial Relations & Employment and Shadow Minister for Social Inclusion.