20 March 2017
The Rudd Government's changes to the national workplace relations system has seen the creation of two new institutions – Fair Work Australia and the Fair Work Ombudsman. These bodies replace the:
- Australian Industrial Relations Commission and the Australian Industrial Registry
- Australian Fair Pay Commission and its Secretariat
- Workplace Authority
- Workplace Ombudsman
Change is being implemented in three key stages.
- 2008 27 March—transitional legislation proclaimed preventing the making of new Australian workplace agreements.
- 2009 1 July—Fair Work Australia and the Office of the Fair Work Ombudsman begin operations – new provisions for dismissal claims and enterprise bargaining effective.
- 2010 1 January—modern awards and National Employment Standards now apply.